Tuesday 29 May 2018

Braised Red Cabbage




Braised Red Cabbage

My nephew cooks Christmas dinner every year and always includes red cabbage with cranberries. I love it but never cook it myself having got the idea into my head that it's  a bit of a pain to prepare.

Recently I spotted a huge red cabbage at a very cheap price so I thought I'd give it a go, minus the cranberries. Why on earth I'd got it into my head it was a complicated vegetable to prepare, I don't know. It was quick and easy to get ready and then I put it into the slow cooker while I got on with the rest of my day.

If you don't have a slow cooker, simmer slowly in a saucepan on the hob for one and a half hours. Keep an eye on it and add a little more water if it starts to get dry.

It is not only delicious but so good for you too with lots of cancer-fighting nutrients. The colour is provided by a special compound called anthocyanin which is a powerful antioxidant.

Here's the recipe I used.

Ingredients

1/2 head red cabbage, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons water



Method

Spray a 3-4 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine cabbage, red onion, and garlic in the prepared slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, salt, white pepper, and water and stir well to dissolve the sugar and salt.

Pour over the cabbage in the slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low, stirring twice during cooking time, for 6-8 hours until cabbage is tender. Or cook on high for 3 hours.





Take a look at these websites for more kitchen information and pictures:
Country Kitchens
Kitchen Gallery
Kitchen Talk

Subscribe to Kitchen Cook and we'll email you every time the website is updated.  All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'follow by email' link in the panel on the right. 

No comments: